In the Groove Slot car Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
expressemery

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #1 
How to can swap on the Mega G+ cars and shoe adjustments.

Attached Images
jpeg 20180830_190645.jpg (2.64 MB, 7 views)

0
expressemery

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #2 
Some pics of inside stock can and first can tested. Pics from web

Attached Images
jpeg 020_11.jpg (38.72 KB, 8 views)
jpeg 015_15.jpg (31.71 KB, 8 views)
jpeg 013_14.jpg (20.00 KB, 6 views)
jpeg 007_25.jpg (31.63 KB, 6 views)
jpeg post-4624-0-60883400-1423125323.jpg (25.05 KB, 6 views)

0
expressemery

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 143
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks to Dennis (Partspig), I've been experimenting and abusing heli motors for a while now. I finally got my hands on the Mega G+ can, in order to ascertain the true definition of "special guts"; as it relates to the standard fare we already know. Below are some pix and comparos.

Rather than ripping the arm out lets use service slots! A paper clip works fine. Some motors have the slots some dont. Just fold a drop tang on the end for fishing those that dont have the access slots.

The arm rings out at 17 ohms. Note the chubby bundles and the "special" (read peculiar) way they are wound. The comm end of the bundles is an elongated loop, and the shaft end is pressed down and flattened off. Looks like there may have been ... er .... uh.... cough cough .... clearance issues in the shaft end of the can. Bound to happen when you have to cram enough wire in to almost double the rating from what we know to be average

Angled in the light one can see that the bundles are squared off .... tamped, poked, mashed ?

Of the three varieties of brush arrangements I've run across, the G+ uses the smaller version of the group (green end bell). The black end bell (largest brushes) is from a 3 ohm Neo mag motor, but appears to have a higher carbon content.

Here's the brush set from the 9 ohm poly magnet motor (the middle size brushes). Although it isnt real clear in the pix, they appear to have a higher copper content in person.

The smorgasbord gives one an idea of the various ratings (3, 6, 9, 17), wire sizes, comm styles, shaft lengths, and housing types. Other than a smidge of timing advance on the 3 ohm (far left), neutral seems to be the order of the day.

Here's the detail on the Mega G+ comm. I swapped the 17 ohm Mega G+ armature into the 9 ohm poly mag can and made a nice little hand warmer. Later, during a swap into the Neo mag can, my Jerry Rigged assembly jig slipped; and the Neos snatched the armature in a blink, ripping the comm right off the shaft. The comm/bushing does not use and impinge fit on the armature shaft. It is indexed radially using a three prong clutch. The only longitudinal support is a thin nylo-shim. Notably, the comm assembly was floppy from the get go; which is not uncommon in the helis. Others are quite snug.

When the time comes, I'll try piping some CA behind the comms of the 17 ohm Mega G+ arms, in the hopes of stabilizing the situation; so I can and continue my experiments. Gotta rethink my jig too!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.